Friday, September 21, 2012

Crazy Claims

In the last few days, I have had some stunning claims placed before me. These all come from people that I respect, each in a different capacity. That they have all come at the same time is surely coincidence, but might also be in reaction to my growing propensity to be outspoken about morality, ethics and religion.

The three claims are as follows:
1. Children are the property of parents. Corollary: anything a parent does with their child is immune to criticism.
2. Children are born sinful. Corollary: this aligns with Original Sin, and therefore supports the "moral authority" of the Bible.
3. The only objective view on morality is that every view on morality is subjective. Corollary: an individual has as much right to kill another as the other individual has right to live.

The only reasonable course of action I can see in light of these claims is to bring them into the light, to discuss and explain why I think each of these are not just incorrect, but damaging to society, and perhaps venture into why I think they persist. I expect #3 to be the most challenging, but also the most interesting -- and, I hope, the most rewarding if I succeed in changing opinions.

I thought this would be both a good way to lay out their relation to each other and to encourage myself to actually talk about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment